7/26/07

Week 6, Thing 15 (Web 2.0 Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries)

I read a lot of the articles that were listed on the exercise page for this Thing. One of the statements that stayed with me the most was this from the article by Michael Stephens.

Librarian 2.0 controls technolust This librarian does not buy technology for the sake of technology. “Techno-worship” does not exist here. Without a firm foundation in the mission and goals of the institution, new technologies are not implemented for the sake of coolness and status. Technology is put to the test: Does it meet the users need in a new or improved way? Does it create a useful service for putting users together with the information and experience they seek? These are some of the questions this librarian asks when planning for technology. This librarian creates and nurtures a living, breathing technology plan.

Don't get me wrong; I think a lot of this stuff is very cool and I like playing with it a lot. I just think that asking some of the questions ahead of time can make things better for our customers.

No comments: